Llanarmon yn Iâl
It was only in October 1928 that Crosville buses had reached the village of
Llanarmon yn Iâl. From about the same time, the family firms of Peters based
in the village and George Edwards of Bwlchgwyn
began operating motor buses in competition but
only on Mold market days. Edwards’ Mold ser-
vice had ceased by the mid 1930s and Peters in
From the introduction of Crosville buses to
Llanarmon, the level of service was fairly con-
sistent, with some three journeys during the week but with addi-
tional journeys on Wednesdays and Saturdays. There was also a
Sunday service with three journeys in the winter and five journeys
in the summer. During the war, however, Sunday services were
After the war, the level of service resumed with even an additional journey on Fridays.
In 1946, on school days only, Crosville introduced the first services from Llanarmon and
Graianrhyd to Ruthin. In 1953, this was extended to start in Mold.
In 1965, the first through Ruthin - Llanarmon - Mold journey operated. It was in 1970 that most
Ruthin to Mold buses began operating via Llanarmon.
Eryrys, Maeshafn and Graianrhyd
The first reference to bus services from Eryrys was in 1930, when Crosville operated three journeys
on Mondays to Fridays and four on Saturdays. There were minor changes but the basic pattern of
service for Eryrys continued for over 40 years.
Meanwhile, by 1936, Crosville added a separate route to Maeshafn, with up to four return journeys
on Wednesdays and Saturdays only. Prior to 1959, both routes had the same service number 46.
The Eryrys service became the B38 in 1959 and the Maeshafn service B37. The B37 operated via
the Rainbow Inn, Gwernymynydd and the B38 via the Glyndŵr Arms.
By 1973, Crosville had combined the B37 and B38 market day services from the villages of Eryrys
and Maeshafn to Mold.
In October 1986, as part of the deregulation tendering process, Four Girls Coaches of Pontybodkin
near Mold won the contract for the B37 between Llanarmon, Graianrhyd, Eryrys, Maeshafn and
Mold, initially on Wednesdays only. In December 1988, Clwyd County Council reintroduced a
Saturday return journey, operated initially by Royce Hire of Wrexham. By 1990, the service had re-
turned to Crosville Wales.
From June 1992, Oare’s Coaches of Holywell took over the B37 village service to Mold, which was
also extended to start at Rhydtalog and no longer served Llanarmon although, of course, the B5
Ruthin - Mold service continued to that village. In September 1993, the B37 passed to Pied Bull
Coaches of Mold.
In the autumn of 1999, Denbighshire County Council changed the B37. Wednesday and Saturday
journeys continued to Mold as before but the Council added journeys to Ruthin on Tuesdays and
Fridays. Pied Bull continued to operate all such journeys till GHA took over. It was in November
2001 that Denbighshire merged the B37 and B5 into one, thus increasing journey opportunities for
villagers wishing to travel now to both Ruthin and Mold, operated by GHA.
© 1919-2019 Denbighshire County Council
A common sight on the corridor in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s were double deck buses. This
Crosville Wales Leyland Olympian with 77-seat ECW body was new in 1985 to Crosville and is seen
here at Llanarmon in 1997 towards the end of Crosville/Crosville Wales service