1940s and 1950s—post-war consolidation
During the Second World War, the Traffic Commissioners ordered that most bus services be
scaled back. In 1940, the Ruthin to Mold service was therefore more than halved, to five
journeys a day.
Ruthin buses now terminated at Mold at the bus shelter
on Chester Street, although this may have been the case
earlier. 1941 saw the withdrawal of all Sunday services.
In 1942, Crosville progressively began painting its buses
green, a colour that in one shade or another would last
for 56 years.
In 1944, Crosville renumbered the service as RH22. In
1947, the service numbers changed to 32 but these
still only appeared in the printed timetable and not
on the buses themselves. In 1956, it
changed again to CH78 . It was not till
the early 1950s that vehicles themselves
showed a service number.
In 1946, on school days only, Crosville introduced the first services from Llanarmon yn
Iâl and Graianrhyd to Ruthin. In 1953, this was extended to start in Mold.
After the war, in a significant development, 1949 saw Crosville introduce a through
Ruthin - Mold - Chester service, numbered 56. It operated one return journey from
Ruthin beyond Mold to Chester daily, save for Wednesdays & Sundays. The 56 was
soon to become two return journeys per operational day.
After the war, Crosville began to purchase more buses manufactured by Bristol and
bodied by Eastern Coach Works. To meet the needs of more travelling passengers,
some journeys on the Ruthin - Mold service were for the first time operated by
double deck buses and these were increasingly Bristol Ks. Most had rear entrances and most had
upper deck seating in rows of four, each passenger seating alongside three others, with a sunken
gangway to one side.
From 1951, the number of
Ruthin - Mold journeys
began to increase.
Towards the end of the
1950s, there were 13
departures to Mold (five
on Sundays) and some
journeys continued to
Birkenhead. In 1956, the
Ruthin terminus moved
again, from Market Street
to the LMS railway
It was in 1959 that the once-familiar Crosville alpha-numeric service numbers appeared in
timetables and, importantly, on vehicles themselves. The Ruthin - Mold service became B33; the
Ruthin - Mold - Chester the B17; and that from Birkenhead to Denbigh via Mold and Ruthin the F9.
Buses of the 1950s on the Ruthin - Mold service were now almost universally of Bristol/Eastern
Coach Works manufacture, and were usually either Bristol LD “Lodekka” double decks or Bristol L
saloons. Whether double decked or single, with rear entrances and their engines next to the driver,
these were referred to as “half-cabs”.
Outside Denbighshire’s Ruthin County Offices in 1954 is a Bristol K5G
with Park Royal 55 seat body, which came to Crosville from London
Transport in 1952. It is destined for Mold
A typical Bristol L5G with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat body
new to Crosville in 1950. Note the once ubiquitous
advert for Hovis
Bristol LD6B with Eastern Coach Works 60 seat body new to
Crosville in 1957
© 1919-2019 Denbighshire County Council